Eating well during pregnancy is a no-brainer – our unborn babies depend on us to give them the proper nutrition to grow, develop and thrive. Here are five pregnancy superfoods to fit into your diet and why:
I LOVE sweet potatoes! Plus, if you are craving something savory while pregnant, bake up some sweet potato fries with sea salt and dip in organic, agave ketchup – YUM!
“Sweet potatoes are high in many important nutrients. They contain a good amount of fiber as well as vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese and several other vitamins and minerals.”
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar
- High in Antioxidants
- Boosts Brain Function
- Enhances Immunity
- Promotes Vision Health
- Aids in Weight Loss” (although while pregnant you should not be focusing on losing weight)
Almonds / Almond Milk
“Of all tree nuts, almonds rank highest in protein, fiber, calcium, vitamin E, riboflavin and niacin content by weight. Almonds are an easy snack to keep in a purse or diaper bag. I prefer Trader Joe's raw almonds. If your blender can handle it, add almonds to a smoothie to make a pregnancy superfood smoothie.” Source: Mother Rising
- Help reduce heart disease and heart attacks.
- Support Healthy Brain Function.
- Maintain Skin Health.
- Help Control Blood Sugar Levels and Prevent Diabetes
- Help Prevent Overeating
- Increase Nutrient Absorption
- Increase Digestive Health
- Can Help Fight Cancer and Inflammation
- Help Maintain Dental and Bone Health
Chia Seeds are among the best superfoods for a healthy pregnancy because:
- Great Source of Omega-3s
- Replenish Lost Nutrients
- Slow Sugar Absorption
- Energy Booster
Chia seeds are also great for the skin/aging, heart health, digestion, boosts metabolism, create stronger bones, fights cancer, great for dental health, and much more.
My two favorite ways to eat Chia Seeds are:
- In Smoothies – add a tablespoon to your shakes and when blended it adds a delectable thickness. So yummy!
- Overnight Oats! Chia Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats is my go-to recipe by Ambitious Kitchen.
“Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are a good source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K, but are particularly rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate and iron.” Source: Mother Rising
- Lots of fiber that fills you up.
- Heart healthy
- Improves Digestion
- Helps Alkalize the Body and Balance Its pH Level
- Helps manage blood sugar levels.
- High source of plant-based protein.
- Improves immunity.
Bananas are amazing! They are a sweet treat with substance for an instant energy boost. Slice up and dollop with almond butter – yum! Bananas are also loaded with Potassium which helps those pregnancy leg cramps – ouch!
- Helps Improve Mood
- Affordable, Portable, Low in Calorie Snack Choice
- Good Source of Brain, Skin, and Bone Health-Boosting Manganese
What other superfoods do you eat? Comment below or join the conversation on our Facebook page.
Body After Baby provides active moms with the next generation of “smart” maternity belly bands and post-pregnancy supportive healing shapewear. Recover more quickly and comfortably with our “set it and forget it” invisible garments. No adjusting or constant re-positioning. Just pure belly bliss. You focus on your baby, while we focus on your body!